Red Denim Heart Valentine
This is the final Valentine I created. I actually started this card second and really struggled with it. I was inspired by a Pinterest pin of a layered, multipattern card with the sentiment "Cheers". I cannot believe I didn't save it... grrrr. I didn't even think about it since it was not a Valentine's card. The way the layers were applied intriqued me. the layers were sewn and I do have a mini sewing machine that I've never used. I eliminated that option right away since I had one evening to finish all 5 cards. This card sat off to the side with the bottom layer (embossed red floral design), the blue and the vertical polka-dot floral. I was stuck on how to make the heart.
My heart die selection is VERY limited. I have eight stitched hearts in a variety of sizes, unfortunately 3 of them are on a solid plate so they are somewhat limited in their usefulness. Then there are two plain hearts, both quite small and a heart charm with a hole in it that is draped long that is also quite small. So this project sat with three varied layers.I knew I was limited to a large focal stitched heart.
At some point in my frenzy of creating, I remembered my denim swatches. I bought red, white and blue denim squares from Michael's some time ago. They are really hard to cut with thinlits, but I pulled out a red chunk and one of the larger stitched hearts and worked away at it. Finally I had to cut most of it away with scissors. The cut line was perfectly clear so it was a very easy fussy cut (I try to avoid all fussy cutting!)
I liked the effect the stitching made, it frayed the edges of the heart nicely showing the white part of the denim off. For the sentiment I chose a Stampin' Up Sale A Bration freebie stamp, used StazOn Claret ink to stamp it on vellum. I cut the vellum with a Gina Marie's Stitched Banners die.
Then again it sat, with all its parts until it was the last card standing. I distressed the edges of the blue and the red pattern paper to tie in with the distressed denim heart, I did not pop any part of the card up with dimensionals. I thought it needed a little something more so I put tiny rhinesones in the flowers and a big rhinestone on the denim. I was finally happy with my creation. I enjoyed the challenge of making these cards for my friends. It was fun to make a variety of the same theme using minimal parts.
I am entering this project in the following challenges:
Thanks for stopping by, please feel free to leave comments or questions, I am here to help!